About the programme:The UK LLM in Commercial Law provides an excellent opportunity to immerse you in this important and fascinating area of law. Understanding the principles and challenges of commercial transactions and the regulatory regime for business is essential for anybody who pursues a career in the legal field. This UK law degree enables you to develop expertise in a range of commercial law subjects under the facilitation of the leading law school in Bangladesh.
Who is it for?The specialism in Commercial Law will appeal to students at all stages of their career and from around the world who have an interest in the commercial dimension of legal issues. This British law degree will enable you with this focus to develop your career in private commercial practice at law firms or in-house across a variety of sectors. With the broad knowledge available under this wide-ranging specialism, you will also be well-placed to embark on policy-oriented careers in the private or public sector.
Why you choose this programme:
- High employability in commercial law sectors
- Less costly compared to other UK LLM/Bangladeshi LLM
- Skill based curriculum
- Flying faculties from University of Derby
- Skype sessions with University of Derby faculties
- Fully equipped online library and resources support
- Distinguished faculty (full time and adjunct)
Career ProspectsAs a graduate of this specialist LLM, you will be well placed to pursue careers in this area of law in private practice, in a law firm, government and non-governmental organisations, and a wide range of non-legal careers in trade and commerce.
Academic FacilitiesAs a BAC International Law School student you will be benefitted from everything Derby has to offer to in campus student including the Learning Success Department and online resources designed to help you find the information you need for the course modules. All course modules have online depositories through University of Derby blackboard. As part of the University of Derby, you become a registered student of Derby with your student ID card.
You will benefit from Derby’s extensive library of hard copy and electronic resources, including its comprehensive database of domestic and international case law, legislation, treaties and legal periodicals. Moreover, BAC International Study Centre library is full with law books and it also has individual study spaces and a dedicated room for group work.
Students should be able to:
- Gain competence in research skills and structured approaches to legal research;
- Evaluate the extent of theory on the development of commercial law;
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the functioning of the company as an entity and financial issues related to the company;
- Analyse and effectively evaluate the differing roles of the people who manage and control the company;
- Devise a business plan articulating the legal and financial consequences of engaging in the sale of goods at both national and international levels;
- Apply legal principles to the ownership, use and control of information in the Internet and other media;
- Evaluate the fundamental rules of arbitration law with reference to the relevant legislation and case law and its international perspective; and
- Critically analyse the impact of arbitration law on dispute resolution mechanisms and how these operate in a business, commercial and social context.
Extra-curricular ActivitiesWe also appreciate the importance of work-based learning at the School. We offer you a chance to shadow an employer, on a very short term basis. The intention is to help you gain invaluable insights into the world of professional work.
You will be assigned with an academic advisor, when you start, who will guide and advise you as to your career and learning options. Your advisor will also be able to assist with any welfare and wellbeing issues you might encounter during your time at BAC International Law School.
Teaching and learning in the programme:
This course is taught by leading academics as well as visiting practitioners including barristers who are engaged in private practice and in legal departments of major companies. All modules are structured as 10 weekly two-hour seminars which comprise with both lectures as well as interactive tutorials. All modules are supported by online learning platform- UoD blackboard as well as hard copy of books in the BAC International Study Centre’s library.
Assessment is by way of coursework which comprises 100% of the final mark in each module. Each module carries the same weight in terms of the overall qualification. At the end of the regular courses,you will be allocated with a dedicated supervisor for your dissertation and he will help you develop a specific topic and provide support in terms of resources, content and structure.
• Legal Scholarship;
• Commercial Theories;
• Company Law;
• National & International Sale of Goods;
• Intellectual Property in the Digital Age;
• International Commercial Arbitration;
• Independent Study.
Programme fact file
Duration: 1 year full-time
Start date: September or January
Mode of Study: Face to Face, International
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh